Friday, November 8, 2013

My America

Overwhelmed and never paid
I guess its not my day today.
The dog is dying, the kids are sick
And that's not even the worst of it.
Where'd my motivation go?
I wanna run, but my heart says no.
This isn't how its supposed to be
in the land of the brave and the home of the free.

Where is my American dream?
I fell through the cracks of the dream machine.
It spit me out after cranking me through
the cogs that were oiled with the blood of our youth.
bruised, battered, hurt, broke down and bloodied
I never even saw it coming.
I went from zero to sixty in a cat's eye blink
Now I'm tethered here to the kitchen sink.
I am living the life my grandmother escaped
I thought she was wrong, but I made a mistake.
Now its too late, the path has been chosen
And all of my assets are conveniently frozen.
Too poor to change, but not poor of spirit.
I know God is talking, if I could just hear it.
Was that a whisper, or did I hear a scream?

someone please save me from this american dream




1 comment: