Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Who is Training Who?

     When my dog wants something, he sits.  It is such a polite way to ask for something and completely silent as well, which is interesting because really he is not "asking" me in words, but making a  request for  something, usually a trip outside or a tidbit of food.  In my opinion, this is the correct way for a dog to make a request.  I do not appreciate being nosed, pawed, or barked at in my own home.  When I am at other people's homes what they do with their dog is their business and I am much more lenient.  I do not live there and I don't have to deal with their dog's foolishness on a regular, so what do I care? BUT, if you do not like a dog's behavior, DON'T accidentally reinforce it!  This is one of the biggest lessons that humans who live with dogs can learn.  You are training your dog all the time, intentionally or unintentionally.
     When your dog barks at you and you open the door and let him out, what did you both learn?  Your dog learned that barking equals getting what he wants, you learned that giving the dog what he wants stops the barking!  Do you want him to bark every time before he goes out? If the answer is yes, than please open the door and let that guy out, but if the answer if no, then hold on.  Dogs do what works for them.  If barking produces the dog's desired result then they will continue to bark.  If barking doesn't reward them, then over time and with the proper reinforcement the barking will ease up.  This does not solve long term, ingrained, barking problems overnight, but by thinking about how you reinforce your dog's behavior, you can start to shape that into behaviors that you prefer, rather than annoying behaviors that drive you crazy, such as barking.
     Start small and keep it fun.  When your dog is doing something you like, such as choosing to chew his own toy or lying down on his own doggie bed, give him some praise at that exact moment.  Behaviors that you praise are going to happen again, because dogs love praise! Just a quick "goooood" in a happy voice and a scratch behind the ears is all it takes!  You know your dog best, so you know what he likes (hopefully)  and that is what you should use to praise him.  Practice praising your dog's good behavior often.  I try to praise at least 75% more than I correct.  Show the dog what you like in a way that he likes and he will do it!
Just try it and see.  I'll talk more about corrections on another day, but for right now I want everyone to think about praise.  Find opportunities to praise your dog and watch how you shape his behavior! This also works on kids! Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment