Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Depression Cure

I've been consciously improving myself every day. I started by quitting smoking back in March. I have been exercising 6 days a week. I walk with the dog and my neighbor every day once my hubby gets home from work. I have been working on controlling my emotions, especially my anger, around my family. Its not been easy, but I really do feel better "trying" to do these things.
Consciously working toward a goal feels really good and I wish I had realized this earlier in my life. Maybe right now I wouldn't be wishing I had done more, followed more of my dreams, but I can't live my life according to the past alone, so I try to let those thought float away and hold onto the the productive thoughts.

Here is something I have figured out. Smoking cigarettes depressed me, it didn't bring me up out of my depression at all. It was part of the cycle that brought me down. I also believe with all my heart that regular exercise, as in really sweat inducing workouts, are a depression cure for me. Just for the record, I hate working out. I hate being sweaty and hot. I hate the burning muscles. I hate the whole deal, BUT I love the way I feel afterward! The way I feel the whole rest of the day after a workout makes the initial discomfort and sweaty-ness completely worth it. You gotta get comfortable, with being uncomfortable. No pain, no gain. Those things are true. I am so happy that I have finally figured that out. It is empowering to be able to do something (that is free!) to make myself feel better. Anyone who has a working body can work out, even without expensive equipment or a fitness studio. So here is my unwanted advice for the day, go move around! Do some jumping jacks, bounce on an exercise ball, take your poor dog for a walk, do arm circles. Just get up and move, no matter whether its a big or small movement. Movement of any kind is beneficial and I am so thankful to know this! 

No matter what else is going on, I am thankful to be alive and to have a sound body. Thank God for my blessings, when I really look at the big picture, I have a lot to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment