Monday, September 30, 2013

But it's my job...

My youngest daughter and I just returned from our daily dog walk. It is a beautiful day here and we get out for a walk any day that it isn't raining too hard. It is a great time for me to think, to talk to Rosie about what she thinks, connect with our dog, and just commune with the nature that we find in little nooks and crannies of the city. On Mondays, the city workers come with mowers and mow our park. Today a city worker said hi to me and thanked me for picking up my dog's poop. I was floored and I said, no problem, its my job! It really made me feel good though! I always carry poop bags with me because my elderly dog has no compunctions about dropping a deuce right on the sidewalk and I would be so angry if I stepped in someone else's dog's mess, so I just always pick it up. It is the right thing to do, however, a lot of people don't do it. They just let their dog poop willy-nilly on whatever they choose and walk away. Maybe I was one of those people once, before I had kids and realized one of the kid laws is, if there is dog poop anywhere in a mile radius of my kid, she WILL step in it, track it through our house, and cause me much stress and mess. That is just my experience, maybe your kid isn't like that, but mine is, I've accepted it. S'ok. That is part of the reason why I am somewhat vigilant about dog poop pick up and removal. Another reason? It smells. Have you ever walked by an area that has been used for dog elimination on a hot sunny day? The fumes of sun baked dog urine and feces are so not pleasant and I hate the idea of my dog contributing to city stench. BUT I never get THANKED for doing what I know needs to be done! That was so surprising and wonderful, so to the city worker, thanks for noticing and thank you for making my day! The next time I see someone doing the right thing, I am going to make it a point to say thank you, because I love this feeling and I want to spread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment